Now that the model is finished I can think about the next project!
I finished the rubber portion of the nurse mold.
I’ll be working on this today.
Now that the mold is finished, I cast the first test cast and it looks good, even better is the fact I removed the mold from the original still moist clay model without any damage to the model, so at some point I can kiln fire her.
I have the preliminary work done, the scale drawing printed out, and my wood form cut and ready to assemble last night.
I found documents showing the building was built in 1930 by James W. O’connor, an architect who had quite a portfolio of work on Long Island estates and other buildings.
There’s documents and photos in the Historic American Building Survey on the Library of Congress site from 1980.
I decided to do an experiment to take up some space with styrofoam to use less clay, as it was I wound up using about 120# of clay, here’s the start of it:
Here’s a copy of the cover page from the Library of Congress about the historic survey conducted on the clinic in 1980, click for the full size version:
I decided on the size for her- roughly 27″ wide, 19″ high, since the design is recessed, removing the surrounding area doesn’t work well, so I decided to retain a bit of the flat surface as a border, leaving the left without the border to wrap the design around the side which makes it more interesting.
I’ll probably be setting this up over the weekend if not earlier, meanwhile the 2 gallons of mold rubber which was just shy of $200 that I ordered came today for the nurse model
I am pleased to say the model is now finished and I have just ordered the materials required to make the rubber mold. The first public cast has already been sold- interestingly enough to a nurse in Texas who was a former student of St Vincent’s, she related how she used to walk under the nurse sculpture every day going in and out of the building over ten years!
It is very nice to think some of my work brings back fond memories for someone who recognizes the design.
And now a last picture before laying the model on the work bench:
Laid now on the work bench over some narrow strips of wood to allow air to circulate to the interior so she dries evenly:
I’m thinking of making a model of this Art Deco era design next, which was once on the Leon Lowenstein Clinic that was attached to ST. Vincent’s Hospital. The clinic was demolished around 1980.
The main building around 1979
Another view, looking South from West 12th St, the 2nd building down from the tall corner building was the Leon Lowenstein clinic, an Art Deco era building that was demolished around 1980
Entrance to Leon Lowenstein, carved limestone figures flank the window, I had managed to buy the one on the left from the demolition people for $100 but unknown to me was just how large that piece of stone she was on actually was! It was about six feet wide, three feet tall and at least ten inches thick, the block of stone weighed in excess of 2000 pounds and they had laid it on a four wheel platform truck I chained to a post nearby.
When I arrived to pay for the piece and take it home, the weight was so much I was unable to even move it, unfortunately I wound up having them jackhammer more than half of the stone away leaving just the figure which still weighed about 600 pounds. The other figure wound up in the landfill.
I need to let the clay firm up a little more before I work on her more, other than overall cleaning up and refining which needs to be done on firmer clay, she’s basically finished.
I hollowed her out from the back today, removing 25# of clay, that will help get the model drying enough to get firmer. These round models unlike the straight sided models can’t simply be stood up vertically to hollow the back out, so the way I did it before on round models was laying it flat on the back suspended over a couple of boards with enough space netween them I can get my hand and tool in to dig out some of the weight in the middle to start with.