Kiln firing

I decided to put the first set of two clay sculptures in the kiln now, with the 137 grotesque on the bottom resting on it’s top, and with the shelf furniture I had to stack some posts to get the height above the sculpture so the shelf can be laid on top of them and not touch it. Once the shelf was in, 22-D was laid on her back on some posts to let the heat and air circulate inside from underneath- ditto for the 137 on the bottom which was raised up so it’s top gets the full heat and red color evens out over the whole piece.
Pretty close! the metal rod has only 3/8″ space between it and the nose- showing how close the kiln lid will wind up to her nose when closed!
If it didn’t fit I’d have to fire one 137 at a time, luckily it was just short enough I was able to fit the shelf and a 22-D on top.

Wish I had a larger kiln, as it is I COULD add a blank spacer ring to gain 4″ more height but since it’s blank and doesn’t have any heating elements, adding one in can change how long the firing cycle takes as well as the color of pieces sitting in that zone.

To upgrade to a larger kiln I’d have to have all new electrical supply installed from the weatherhead on down to the breaker box itself, even the meter socket would have to be changed out, and all that would run around $3,000 which I can’t justify right now.
I only have a 100 amp breaker box and the incoming line is less than that I discovered.

A workaround would be having the wire from the weatherhead to the meter, and the meter socket replaced, and a disconnect box installed, THEN I could shut the disconnect off and easily replace the cable from it to the breaker box and the breaker box itself myself, but even that would run around $2,000.

Comments are closed.