Since I have most of the 2 gallon kit of mold rubber left over that needs to be used up, I decided to set up this clay model I did in 2008 after an original polychromed terracotta at the 14th st subway station in Manhattan. A volunteer back then took several photos and obtained measurements for me to work with. The model has been kicking around in the studio, the basement and elsewhere around the house while I decided on how I wanted to do the molds.
Originally I was going to do 2 molds, as a one-piece panel, and as thinner tiles in terracotta. For now I’m going to caulk-in the seams to have it as a one-piece panel with the seams looking like mortar joints.
Setting up the model for the mold involves cutting a sheet of drywall in one piece to surround the assembly so I can raise/lower the drywall to get the final depth of what I want for the resulting castings’ thickness.
I wanted to keep as thin as practical to lessen the weight, but the lower tail fin section was thinner than I felt it should be, so I lowered the drywall down 1/2″ from where I originally thought it might go, that leaves the thinnest portion 1-1/2″ thick.
I started caulking in the seams between pieces to fill, but not obliterate them- so the liquid mold rubber can’t drizzle down through the spaces before it sets up.
Only the rubber portion will be done for now, the plaster support shell for this and the plaster mold for the beaver will have to wait until I order some of my casting material, molding plaster, and a few boxes of clay if they clay I have on hand is not usable (been sitting around for a couple of years it still dries out even in the unopened plastic bags)
It might be a month before I order that stuff since I still have 3 bags of casting material on hand and it all has to be freight shipped, so it’s about a $600 outlay for what I’ll want to order.
One of the original polychromed terracotta eagles at the 14th St platform.