Fresh out of the kiln, now I have three of them on hand ready to ship.
The owl panel came out of the kiln nicely, the design has a lot of undercuts and opposing angles to it, which required a fairly complicated mold, and removing the sections of the mold is tricky, as a result this sculpture requires a considerable amount of time detailing and refining it, removing seam lines etc.
I have two fired, and two more drying to be fired in a couple of weeks.
I just finished pressing the first sculpture in the new mold, with the fan playing across the back on low to start drying the clay from the back and inside, in an hour or two she should be firmed up enough to remove from the mold.
It took about 30# of clay to make.
Since I had a gallon of mold rubber left sitting around I decided to use it to make a rubber positive of my angel panel. Poured it in some 6 hours ago and now I have my rubber positive ready to go.
Probably Friday afternoon I’ll work on the plaster piece mold of this so I can make them in pressed fired terracotta too.
With the mold finished, I will be able to start pressing some terracotta soon!
Shipping out my nurse roundel to a repeat client Mon or Tues who is giving it as a gift to a friend of his who is a nurse and refused promotions to remain a nurse!
This is a densite plaster cast from a mold made from my clay original model which was based on an extant architectural sculpture on the facade of the former St Vincent’s Hospital nurses’ residence building in NYC.
The cast was given a colored tint, and then with my multi-step finishing process and techniques it was made to look just like these sculptures do on 125 year old building facades in the city.
This will be shipping in a wood crate.