• Metal casting

    I decided to order a small amount of Brittania metal from Rotocast metals to do some metal casting, so¬† here’s five pounds of ingots to stockpile for now:I need to order another 5-10# worth yet. The brittania metal is 98% pure tin, the remaining 2% is comprised of antimony and copper, they were just about $100 for the five ingots, a tad bit less than $20 a pound.

    So what am I going to make out of this?

    Way back in the early 1990s I experimented with a few dog models, most were cast by a foundry for me in bronze, but one I had decided to try casting in Brittania metal for a set of bookends, this one pictured  below was one of them.


    Making them was a real chore due to the processes I came up with at the time to do it, I had to first make a plaster/sand piece mold from the rubber molds I made to cast wax in for the bronzes, then I had to make a plaster/sand core for the inside to make the cast hollow assemble it all using brass pins to keep the core in position inside, and dry that out in the kitchen stove. Once I melted the metal in a deep fry pan on the gas stove I set the plaster/sand mold in a bucket full of sand and poured the metal into the mold. after it cooled I had to break the plaster/sand mold apart to remove the cast, the core remained inside the cast.

    I had made two of them that way. I never made one for myself but I still have the original master rubber molds, so I want to have a bronze of each cast, and I also want to cast at least one in the Brittania metal again.

    Somewhere I think I have notes on what I did, I seem to remember it took about 10# of metal, it was a lot cheaper back then too!

  • Butterfly child panel mold

    Now I have the Butterfly child panel sealed with lacquer and release brushed on it’s ready for the Rubber. The model is moist clay in the leather hard stage.

    The first detail coat of rubber has been applied to the model.