• Mulcaster building “butterfly child” model

    A new client in Delaware purchased the first public cast of this panel which due to various other projects was not completed in Sept as I had planned!

    I really do need to get this model done as the clay does dry out even when kept moist and under plastic wrapping, especially now that the furnace is active and my modelling studio room  warms up fast when it kicks on since the room is small and there’s a good sized register in the wall near the modelling table that blows the hot air out pretty good.

    So here we have the current view of the panel, I’ll be working on this this weekend between the seated gargoyle mold and anything else that  might happen along this week!

    It won’t take a whole lot to get this finished now really, mostly I need to define and refine the flowers and details, and detail the face.


  • WInged dog Nr 90 mold

    Now the mold itself has been started, I had to order another two gallon kit of my usual compound as I determined the one two gallon kid I had ordered was not going to be quite enough, and ratehr than trying to stretch it I decided to go ahead earlier in the week to order another kit and that arrived yesterday. That’s $215 each with the shipping so  the decision to use a second kit is not made lightly since it doubles the costs for the mold which may or may never see more than the one cast that a Nashville client ordered.


    The first application of the compound does not have to cover every inch of the model, it’s use is mainly to fill in deep details, fine details, anything that has crevases or holes which can trap air pockets such as eyes and nostrils when applying an almost paste-like compound.

    Usually one application of the raw compound without the thickening chemical added is all that’s needed. In about an hour it will cure enough I can start building the thickness of the rubber compound up over the entire surface.