• Art Deco D5 terracotta




    I took the panel out of the kiln now, still hot enough to need gloves to handle, but it came out very good. I made one small error in the final temperature 2079º I should have set it to 2060º, that 19º difference seems minute in a kiln over 2000º but it makes the difference between the clay turning slightly brown and staying the red color I am aiming for.I had forgotten the higher temperature gave me the browner color a year ago when I fired  another piece to that temperature as a test, and then lowered it to 2060º and the red color remained.

    The photo doesn’t show the color all that accurately, so I placed another piece fired at 2060º previously in front of it for comparison. The lion is a redder/orange while the panel is in real life slightly red/brown. This clay will turn a darker chocolate brown at a higher temperature but I that’s not the color I want. So on Thursday morning I’m going to fire the second panel since it’s dry now enough to fire, and fire it at 2060º

    The panel as fired measures 19-3/4″ x 12-1/8″ and weighs 29#

  • Art Deco D5 firing

    The panel is still in the kiln since Sunday at noon, it should shut off in about 4 hours. It looks like the panel has survived so far through the critical stages, it could still have a crack or something but we’ll see.

    Here’s what 1755º looks like through the peephole on the kiln, now imagine 320º hotter still:


    My Olympic kiln, model 1823HE cone 10 (2350º) is not as large as I wanted, this was $2300 and the next larger size was only a few inches wider and a couple of inches taller inside and it was $3100 which was quite  a jump! For about $3200 they have an oval 42″x 30″ inside that would accomodate larger pieces than this panel and laid flat, but I would also have to  change my breaker box and the wiring to the meter since that kiln needs a dual 70 amp breaker. All my breaker slots are filled, and the main breaker itself is only 100 amp anyway, a 200 amp would be much better.