• New model started

    Now that I have the half ton of clay I ordered I decided to start with this model scaled to compensate for two shrinkings of clay.
    It’s inspired by a circa 1900 carved keystone I removed from a buidling facade around 1976.
    I have the other one I removed and so I was able to get the exact size of the stone and depth of the face etc from it to work with.
    I always called this one a cowboy due to the hat which years ago I thought suggested a cowboy hat, but it actually doesn’t seem to be, but is some kind of soft men’s hat with an odd brim and an odder obviously floppy top to it.
    Due to the limitations of stone the “horns” of the hat were probably made thicker than the actual hat was.
    I would guess that since most stone carvers of the era were immigrants from Europe, Italy, Germany, Russia, Poland etc., that the hat likely represents a style from “home” that was familiar to the carver, I’ve been unable to identify the hat so far, but I had been heretofore looking only in the 19th century American hat styles.

    First roughout session:

    scaled

    The original stone:

  • Lion pressed

    The kiln reached final temperature just 11 minutes sooner than I estimated, I’ll open it up in the morning and see what I have.

    Meanwhile, after finishing another plaster piece mold of a design I used to cast about 30 years ago, I pressed clay into it now and we’ll see how it turns out.
    It took 10-1/2# of clay, the wall thickness of the clay is about 5/8″, and it is 10″ high, 4-1/4″ wide:

    Now about 3 hours later I was able to remove the lion, here he is shown next to one of the cut down wall plaque versions:

    The five pieces in the kiln all turned out just fine with the new schedule, the cherub was the problem before.

    The still moist pressed lion block, I’ll need to clean him up a little and make another one today.